Note: only low or lower-middle income country citizens eligible – Please forward to your contacts who will be eligible…
Closes: 1st February 2018 (23:59 pm, Geneva Local Time, UTC/GMT + 1)
Win a Travel Grant to attend the Geneva Health Forum in April 2018 for free and participate in an innovative workshop and learning experience on digital innovation in Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases and Global Health!
Note you will need to join COURSERA to access the information and all the links below
The Geneva Health Forum (GHF), created in 2006 by the University Hospitals of Geneva and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Geneva, is the Swiss flagship event in Global Health. Every two years, GHF attracts both Swiss and internationally renowned stakeholders, and brings together participants from all sectors (health, academia, politics, civil society and private sector professionals).
This seventh edition of the GHF will focus on “Precision Global Health in the Digital Age”. It will take place from April 10-12, 2018 at the International Conference Center of Geneva (CICG). The GHF combines plenary and parallel sessions and a large international exhibition area, which is a fantastic opportunity for networking and extending discussions beyond the conference rooms. About 1’200 participants from 80 countries are expected and Russia is guest of honor. Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus WHO Director-General and Dr Veronika Skvortsova, Minister of Health of the Russian Federation are among the GHF 2018 keynotes speakers.
The GHF 2018 offers this year one travel grant covering the travelling and accommodation costs of a learner from this MOOC on “Global Health at the Human-Animal-Ecosystem Interface”. This learner will join during the GHF 2018 an innovative workshop entitled “Are we ready for the next emerging pandemic? Opportunities and challenges in the Digital Age”. This workshop will use a project-based and active learning approach, where participants will address this exciting question working collaboratively in interdisciplinary and international teams, and interact with the large diversity of high-level experts and participants at the GHF 2018. This workshop is also part of the Spring School in Global Health 2018
To be this lucky learner participant, you must:
1) Be a national of a low or lower-middle income country included in the OECD listing Eligible countries of origin are in the first three columns: Least Developed Countries/Other Low Income Countries/ Lower Middle Income Countries and Territories. If you have a dual nationality of which one is not of a low or lower-middle income country, you may NOT apply for a travel grant
2) Have successfully completed the MOOC by February 1st 2018, which involves passing all the graded quiz (a quiz for each section plus the final quiz) We will need a screen shot of the Coursera’s email that you will receive upon completion of the course. The official Coursera certificate is not required, which means that there are no costs for participating to this competition
3) Film a 2 min video pitch responding to the following questions.
– Are we ready for the next emerging pandemic?
- Yes or No?
- Give two reasons why Yes or No based on what you have learned during this MOOC and/or on other knowledge or resources your may have on the topic
- If No, suggest two actions/strategies to improve our readiness. Where would you put the efforts (e.g. innovative and joint epidemiological surveillance, vaccines development etc.)?
– How will participating in this workshop help you to progress in your career?
Deadline for sending the Coursera’s email confirmation and your video: 1st February 2018 (23:59 pm, Geneva Local Time, UTC/GMT + 1)
Your ability to communicate the content in a clear and synthetic way will be taken into account in the selection process.
Format & filming tools:
- Video-talk of a strict maximum of 2 min. No video-edition required (e.g. images, maps etc.)
- You can use any filming device (e.g. webcam in your laptop, camera in your smart phone, video-camera etc.) as long as your face is clearly visible (headshot) and your voice loud and clear. You may want to use a micro and/or talk close to your recording device to ensure the quality of the sound.
- Videos over 2 min, not visible and/or audible will be rejected and not evaluated
- Prepare in advance and feel free to use supporting materials for your presentation and read your notes slides etc.
- Use We Tranfer to send both your video and the Coursera’s email of confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org
What if your project is not selected?
The workshop will be open to all and we will give you the possibility to join online and work distantly with your colleagues.
What does the Travel Grant cover?
The GHF travel grant cover one or all of the following;
- Visa costs for Switzerland
- Return Economy airfare
- Accommodation in Geneva for the duration of the conference
What does the Travel Grant NOT cover?
The Travel Grant does not cover:
- Per diems
- Terminal costs (taxi, airport, etc.)
- Excess luggage costs