|Location||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Date Posted||April 7, 2021|
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project UTF/SAU/051/SAU ‘Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme is part of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project is to provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and will in particular support the strengthening of the capacity of small-scale livestock herders
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for the development of small-scale animal production.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects as well as the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads the comprehensive sector review of animal production and disease control and the organization of diagnostic studies on livestock and animal production industry including comparative studies on traditional and commercial production to give direction to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Identifies important local animal/livestock and breeds present in each of the target regions as well as prepares and initiates the implementation of a national breeding programme for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
• Supervises the establishment and operation of local animal breeding centres (community-based breeding programmes), and assists in the preparation of production and distribution of selected breeding animals which is to be managed by livestock keeper's associations;
• Leads the development of integrated management and husbandry practices for small ruminants and promotion of best practices to small-scale producers;
• Identifies appropriate technologies for small-scale animal production in rural areas, pilot tests and promotes the application, by small producers and their cooperatives, of appropriate innovations and technological packages for animal husbandry, housing and shelter management in livestock production regions;
• Prepares and implements an integrated livestock disease control plan including the establishment of animal isolation and quarantine systems, the improvement of physical infrastructure and logistics support for livestock rearing, veterinary services and laboratories;
• Ensures the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning, implementation and monitoring of progress of the project component;
• Leads the development, and supervises the implementation and monitoring of the project component annual work and expenditure plan in accordance with project document;
• Leads and/or supervises preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists as well as knowledge products;
• Leads and supervises preparation of quarterly and semi-annual project component progress reports, terminal report and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance;
• Leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and the north for animal production and marketing.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in animal production, veterinary sciences with specialization in ruminants breeding and production or any related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in the production and animal breeding technical assistance programmes or projects;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Relevance and extent of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct
Please confirm closing dates at original source link and ensure you take note of appropriate time zones for position closing times. Please note, Veterinarycareers.com.au takes no responsibility for closing dates or removal of job positions advertised.
For next steps in application please register below.