|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
In House Lawyer
About RSPCA WA
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Western Australia (RSPCA) is the State’s leading voice in animal welfare. On an average day we employ around 90 staff and we also have the support of an amazing group of volunteers. Together, our team works diligently towards preventing animal cruelty.
About this opportunity
The position reports to the General Counsel. The primary focus of the role of legal team is the provision of legal support to RSPCA WA on a range of legal, compliance and enforcement issues.
This role will support the role of General Counsel by managing and conducting prosecutions and civil forfeiture applications under the Animal Welfare Act 2002. The person in this role will work with RSPCA WA Inspectors and the external pro bono legal panel supporting RSPCA WA.
- Providing legal advice and support to RSPCA WA Inspectors bringing prosecutions and civil forfeiture applications under Animal Welfare Act 2002. This includes assisting RSPCA WA Inspectors in the development and preparation of case files, preparing and filing of prosecutions and civil forfeiture applications in the Magistrates Court, managing litigation files and appearing on behalf RSPCA WA Inspectors in the Magistrates Court (if required).
- Allocating appropriate cases and providing timely instructions to RSPCA WA’s external pro-bono Legal Panel and maintaining a strong working relationship with those lawyers.
Skills & experience
- Law Degree.
- Unrestricted Practising Certificate is desirable. However restricted practitioners and law graduates may be considered for the position.
- Understanding of and familiarity with criminal law and practice, together with the laws of evidence applicable in Western Australia.
- Experience in criminal law or other litigation experience will be highly regarded.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Capacity to set and manage work priorities and meet deadlines.
We work hard and are dedicated in the fight to prevent animal cruelty. We are highly skilled and believe in what we do. Working at RSPCA WA means you get to develop your career in a dynamic environment where you are challenged and learn something new every day. Plus, on some days you may come to work wearing a onesie, chat over a cupcake, or meet our fans and furry friends at Perth’s biggest premier pet event.
- It’s a rewarding day at work when everything you do counts toward a great cause!
- Free onsite parking
- Discounted external veterinary services
Please confirm closing dates at original source link and ensure you take note of appropriate time zones for position closing times. Please note, Veterinarycareers.com.au takes no responsibility for closing dates or removal of job positions advertised.
For next steps in application please register below.