|Location||Albany, WA, Australia|
|Date Posted||August 3, 2021|
|Salary||$71,896 - $77,717 pa|
21801167.pdf 193.83 kB
|Contact Name||Alison Mackie, A/Senior Research Officer|
|Contact Phone||08 9956 8534|
Level 3 | Permanent - Part Time (0.5 FTE)
- Rewarding opportunity to help protect Western Australia’s Primary Industries
- Work within a supportive and positive team
- Promote best practice biosecurity, animal welfare and product integrity
What will your typical day look like?
We require a Biosecurity Officer to work as part of the Plant Pest and Disease Surveillance group within the Plant Biosecurity branch of our Department to deliver to a range of important DPIRD services including the NATA accredited seed certification program, licensing and compliance under the Industrial Hemp Act 2004 and the WA Seed Potato Schemes. Skills in inspection of field and horticultural crops and knowledge of agricultural systems will be highly advantageous.
The position will involve working on disease and pest surveillance, biosecurity inspection and associated document checks of agricultural products, property and other premise inspection and control and eradication programs under the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007 and other relevant biosecurity arrangements and legislation.
Liaise with various crop industry bodies and industry participants at an operational level to facilitate quality production and export. Provide advice and leadership to other biosecurity officers. Effectively manage a diverse work portfolio and reporting structure.
Conduct field inspections and crop sampling to assist compliance and support surveillance activities. Due to the nature of the work, this role may at times, be physically demanding whilst conducting the surveillance of field crops.
For further key responsibilities please see attached JDF.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
Skills in inspection of field and horticultural crops and knowledge of agricultural systems will be highly advantageous. A sound knowledge of quality assurance programs and strong computer skills including knowledge of relational databases is required. There will be a regular requirement to travel intrastate with a possibility of interstate travel. The ability to communicate and engage with individuals and industry bodies on a regular basis is very important.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to undertake crop inspection duties including knowledge of endemic pests and disease, demonstrated workplace communication skills/abilities, demonstrated experience in applying problem-solving techniques; and the ability to carry out the interpretation and application of procedures and guidelines
For all essential criteria, please see the attached JDF.
At DPIRD we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and strongly encourage people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our agency.
Get ready to apply. It’s simple.
Click the Apply if this is something that excites you! All we need is:
- A resume of no more than three (3) pages including details of two (2) referees
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages in length demonstrating how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the following Essential Work Related Requirements:
- Work related requirement 1 – Role specific: Experience undertaking field crop inspection, regulatory and/or surveillance activities;
- Work related requirement 3 – Build effective relationships: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and succinctly with a diverse range of people at all levels using verbal and written communication;
- Work related requirement 6 – Deliver in a changing environment: Demonstrated initiative and sound organisational skills, including the ability to identify priorities and meet conflicting timelines.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information. Please note that all of the Work-Related Requirements will be assessed at some stage during the selection process.
Need further information?
We’d love to hear from you!
To have a confidential discussion, Alison Mackie, A/Senior Research Officer
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible for a permanent appointment to the Western Australian public sector you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
You must have documentary evidence of your entitlement to live and work in Australia for the period as part of your application. You will be required to provide a current National Police Certificate (police clearance) before commencing employment.
Special Requirements for this position:
- A current and valid Western Australian C (car) class driver's licence, or equivalent is required (if not currently held, must be acquired prior to commencement at applicant's expense).
- An acceptable National Police Certificate (police clearance) is required. If not currently held, must be acquired prior to commencement at applicant’s expense.
- Occasional travel to and from metropolitan and regional offices may be required.
- The contract of employment specifies terms and conditions relating to this position.
This process may be used to fill other similar vacancies throughout the department. In addition to this, should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position, the panel may select another suitable applicant from this selection process. Both of these options remain valid for a period of twelve (12) months from approval of the initial recruitment decision.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 4:00pm will not be accepted)
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 13 August 2021 at 4:00 PM WST
Please confirm closing dates at original source link and ensure you take note of appropriate time zones for position closing times. Please note, Veterinarycareers.com.au takes no responsibility for closing dates or removal of job positions advertised.
For next steps in application please register below.