|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
|Salary||$69,165 – 121,969|
|Reference Number||Pool Ref AV8165|
19919603.pdf 365.8 kB
19919604.pdf 371.93 kB
19919622.pdf 366.81 kB
|Contact Name||Bruce Twentyman|
|Contact Phone||0427 712 922|
CLOSING DATE: Monday 31 August 2020 at 11:45PM WST
Who we are
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development’s (DPIRD) purpose is to create enduring prosperity for all Western Australians. Our department ensures that primary industries and regions are key contributors to the Government’s agenda for economic growth and diversification, job creation, strong communities and better places.
We work collaboratively across government, industry and community to advance three goals: Protect, Grow, Innovate.
For more information about the Department, please visit our website.
We are seeking to establish a pool of suitably qualified applicants for the role of Veterinary Officer (Field) The pool will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months following finalisation of the process and may be used to fill permanent and fixed term, full time and part time opportunities that may arise in this period. Please note, being appointed to the pool does not guarantee you placement to a position.
These positions are responsible for contribution to the surveillance, regulation, controls and emergency preparedness that underpins Western Australia’s extensive market access for our livestock and aquatic industries.
In this role you will or key responsibilities include:
- Building effective relationships with relevant staff members, farmers, private veterinarians, community and industry groups to actively promote biosecurity including technology services and resources that are available, collaborate and remain aware of relevant projects and trends.
- Undertaking veterinary research and investigational work to maintain the biosecurity status of Western Australia’s livestock and aquatic industries;
- Assisting in the development and production of animal health plans and policies;
- Use scientific expertise to assist in biosecurity policy, planning and preparedness, presents information as required at conferences, seminars, workshops and field days;
- Assist with preparation of draft submissions under general direction for internal/external funding to industry funding bodies and progress reports to support the research program;
- Participation in the development of and production of strategic animal health research and policy across the department.
Please refer to the Job Description Form attached for full position details.
Eligibility / Other Conditions
To be eligible for a permanent appointment to the Western Australian public sector you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia. To be eligible for a fixed term or a casual appointment you must have documentary evidence of your entitlement to live and work in Australia for the period of the contract and this is required as part of your application.
Subject to appointment, successful applicants will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy before commencing employment;
- obtain and provide a current National Police Certificate (police clearance) before commencing employment;
- provide a tertiary qualification in Veterinary Science or a related discipline, or equivalent relevant experience; and
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
A degree in Veterinary Science (obtained from an Australian university or recognised equivalent), and current recognised registration (or able to obtain prior to commencement) with the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Western Australia – registration must be maintained whilst employed by the department.
This position is located in Regional locations including Moora, Broome and Bunbury.
Please note, any successful candidate, including current employees of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, will be offered employment subject to the award and agreement conditions that apply to the advertised role as outlined in the attached JDF/s. By accepting an offer of appointment, the successful applicant accepts the conditions and entitlements under the specified award and agreement.
Further Job Related Information
To discuss this role or for specific enquiries please contact Bruce Twentyman, Technical Area Manager, on 0427 712 922 (during business hours).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit:
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two (2) referees; and
- A covering letter/statement that demonstrates how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the following Work Related Requirements, as detailed on the Job Description Form and in the context of the job specific details in this advertisement / in no more than four (4) pages;
- Please address the below work related requirements for the highest level you are applying for and clearly nominate which level/s you are applying for:
Specified Calling Level 1
- Work Related Requirement 1 – Role Specific: Basic knowledge and experience in production animal medicine, including exposure to investigation of disease at an individual and herd/flock level; clinical and necropsy examinations; preparing specimens to a diagnostic laboratory; and proposing plans for treatment and control.
- Work Related Requirement 4 – Build effective relationships: Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to confidently liaise and collaborate with departmental staff, industry and the community and
- Work Related Requirement 7 – Deliver in a changing environment: Ability to organise and prioritise work and complete tasks within deadlines and the capacity to develop and apply basic veterinary scientific techniques that assist in the generation of advice for animal biosecurity and welfare. .
Specified Calling Level 2
- Work Related Requirement 1 – Role Specific: Knowledge and experience in production animal medicine, including how to investigate disease at an individual and herd/flock level; carry out clinical and necropsy examinations; select and submit appropriate specimens to a diagnostic laboratory; and propose plans for treatment and control.
- Work Related Requirement 4 – Build effective relationships: Well-developed verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to confidently liaise, collaborate with and communicate scientific information to departmental staff, industry and the community.
- Work Related Requirement 7 – Deliver in a changing environment: Well-developed project and time management and organisational skills including the ability to effectively contribute to the management of change and to develop and apply advanced veterinary science techniques to enable the generation of advice for animal biosecurity and welfare.
Specified Calling Level 3
- Work Related Requirement 1 – Role Specific: Demonstrated knowledge and experience in production animal medicine, including the ability to investigate disease at an individual and herd/flock level; carry out clinical and necropsy examinations; select and submit appropriate specimens to a diagnostic laboratory; and formulate plans for treatment and control.
- Work Related Requirement 2 - Build effective relationships: Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to confidently liaise, collaborate with and communicate scientific information to departmental staff, industry and the community.
- Work Related Requirement 7 – Deliver in a changing environment: Strong project, time management and organisational skills including the ability to effectively contribute to the management of change and the ability to develop and apply complex veterinary science techniques to enable the generation of specialist input into animal biosecurity and welfare planning processes.
- Work Related requirement 8: Lead and empower others: Proven ability to lead teams and work collaboratively in a team environment contributing to the achievement of departmental level outcomes.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The values and business needs of our Department may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Please note that, should you be shortlisted, your ability to meet the other work related requirements will be assessed through future stages of the recruitment process.
Applicants are required to apply on line by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants must have a current, valid email address in order to apply online and this email address will be used for communication with applicants. Further information is available in the attached Applicant Information Kit.
Equity and Diversity
DPIRD is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and strongly encourage people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our agency.
The Department also promotes staff health and wellbeing, through the provision of flexible work provisions and a wellbeing and support program.
If you are having trouble downloading the attachments or lodging your application online, please contact (08) 6552 1943 (during business hours) and quote the Reference number.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 11:45pm will not be accepted)
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has a four day breach claim period. For more information, please see the Public Sector Commission Website
Please confirm closing dates at original source link and ensure you take note of appropriate time zones for position closing times. Please note, Veterinarycareers.com.au takes no responsibility for closing dates or removal of job positions advertised.
For next steps in application please register below.