|Location||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||September 17, 2019|
|Contact Name||Amy Hopkins|
- Are you a successful laboratory professional with a research and/or diagnostic background?
- Do you have experience with end to end high-throughput laboratory systems?
- Are you looking for your next growth opportunity within New Zealand's main centre for diagnostic response to exotic veterinary diseases
- …if the answer is yes then come and work full-time at our Animal Health Laboratory (AHL) in Wellington until October 2022, where you will broaden your experience with this new initiative project and work alongside our expert laboratory team.
We have a vacancy for a highly motivated project manager with the initiative and skills to develop our high throughput capability for laboratory diagnostic
About the Role [Kōrero mō te tūranga]:
- A new position that will involve you in purposefully designing and managing a project to embed a high throughput diagnostic capability within the AHL Wallaceville.
- You will work closely with the Immunology Manager and team, other key lab personnel and stakeholders to deliver a workable and sustainable solution for automated high volume work for diagnostics, such as exotic disease responses and surveillance projects.
- You will need to have excellent communication and relationship management skills to work with a wide range stakeholders to achieve your goals.
- You will be involved in designing the capability to operate within our new purpose built National Biocontainment Laboratory.
- By the end of the project in 2022 you will have successfully integrated and implemented high throughput serology and molecular diagnostic capability.
MPI will soon complete the most advanced bio-containment laboratory in New Zealand to protect our environment from foreign infectious diseases and high throughput capability will become a key component of laboratory capability.
This position will give you exposure to a wide range of leading local and international experts and exposure to high end laboratory technology.
About You [Mōu]
Bring your experience in working in successful projects, skills in stakeholder management and knowledge of laboratory systems to this fulfilling working environment.
- A minimum of tertiary qualification combined with successful technical experience over a number of years.
- Knowledge and experience of delivering science based projects to completion.
- Skilled use of Microsoft Office and experience with laboratory database software.
- An understanding of how a diagnostic laboratory functions.
- Successful experience in a role requiring initiative, attention to detail, excellent communication.
- Initiative and ability to anticipate events and take action accordingly.
- Oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information effectively.
- Experience managing stakeholder relationships and organising related events.
- Successful experience working within budget and to agreed timeframes.
- Self-starting and able to sustain momentum.
About the Business Unit and Team:
The Biosecurity NZ Business Unit has a critical role in preventing harmful organisms crossing New Zealand's borders. It manages border and compliance activities as well as preparing for, and responding to, any biosecurity incursions that may occur.
The Diagnostics and Surveillance Services Directorate, in which this position will be based, is accountable for managing the surveillance and investigation of notifications of suspected exotic pests and diseases that may affect New Zealand's primary industries or aquatic and terrestrial environments. The directorate minimises the impact on our economy, environment and social and cultural values from harmful organisms that have or may establish in New Zealand.
The Animal Health Laboratory within the DSS Directorate provides accurate, reliable and valuable information that meets high standards of quality and scientific validity. The laboratory is the country's main centre for diagnostic response to exotic veterinary disease and maintains and improves its preparedness for biosecurity emergencies. We have capability in the detection and identification of a range of veterinary pathogens including terrestrial and aquatic species.
For more information about MPI does - click here to be directed to our YouTube channel to watch a short, informative video.
Security checks [Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru]
Security clearance to the level of CONFIDENTIAL is required for this position. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain this clearance. More information about security clearances can be found at http://www.mpi.govt.nz/about-mpi/careers/apply/security-clearance/]
How to Apply [Me pēhea te tuku tono]
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (include cover letter and resume) please click "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
Please note: Your application will not be considered if there is no cover letter attached.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Sunday 13th October 2019
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
Please confirm closing dates at original source link and ensure you take note of appropriate time zones for position closing times. Please note, Veterinarycareers.com.au takes no responsibility for closing dates or removal of job positions advertised.
For next steps in application please register below.