Technical Officer,¬†Macquarie University, Sydney NSW
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Work type: Full Time
Vacancy type: Internal Vacancy, External Vacancy
Categories: Research Assistant, Technical / Scientific Officer
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds.¬†Globally recognised as one of Australia’s leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We’ve helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia’s first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you’ll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by a beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
Join us and start seeing the world in a different light.
Description of Office
The office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) aims to sustain and grow the university’s research profile through the development and implementation of strategies to develop research staff and ensure that research is conducted ethically and with integrity.¬†Macquarie Animal Research Services (MARS) sit within the Office of the DVC Research and operate the animal research facilities. Operating within a highly regulated environment these facilities are committed to high animal welfare standards while supporting a diverse program of research through efficient delivery of high quality services.
Reporting to the Head, MARS, the Technical Officer (Transgenic Technologist/microinjectionist) will be responsible for the production of transgenic and gene edited mouse lines, embryo transfer surgeries, sperm and embryo cryopreservation, animal husbandry and staff management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Microinjection of plasmid-based transgenes, bacterial artificial chromosomes (BACs) and CRISPR/Cas9 reagents into the pronucleus or cytoplasm of one-cell mouse embryos to create novel transgenic or gene-edited mouse lines.
- Embryo transfer surgeries in pseudopregnant mice.
- Cryopreservation and recovery of mouse sperm and/or embryos.
- IVF and rederivation of mouse lines.
- Vasectomy surgery operations.
- Animal husbandry necessary for the performance of duties listed above, such as routine monitoring of mice, hormone injections to superovulate donor female mice, tail biopsies to provide samples to investigators for genotyping analysis.
- Monitoring for compliance with the Macquarie University Animal Ethic Committee requirements.
- The successful candidate should be willing to teach/supervise staff.
- Flexibility in hours, and in working weekends and holidays when needed.
- Experience with ES cells injections or rat transgenesis is a plus.
To be considered for the position, you must submit a cover letter (no more than 3 pages) which addresses the criteria below and upload this and your CV as part of the application process:
- A degree (minimum level, Diploma) in Medical Science, Biosciences, Veterinary Sciences, Applied Science or a related field
- Demonstrated skills and experience in working in a transgenic facility including generating new transgenic mouse lines by pronuclear injection (experience with ES cells injections or rat transgenesis is desirable)
- Demonstrated experience and competence in laboratory animal handling and mouse reproductive engineering techniques
- Demonstrated experience in operating, maintaining and troubleshooting microinjection instrumentation
- Good organisation and time management skills. Ability to achieve objectives and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and provide training to team members.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Working knowledge and understanding of animal ethics and care responsibilities in a research and laboratory environment
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and regulations as they relate to animals and animal ethics¬†
For further information regarding this role please view the position description below.
This position requires a criminal history check.
Salary Package:¬†¬†from $87,699 ‚Äď $97,937 p.a. (Level 6), plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type:¬† full time, fixed term contract until 31 December 2019
Enquiries:¬†Dr. Ronny Eidels on email@example.com(+61 2 9850 7778) or Dr Fabien Delerue on firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Description:¬†¬†¬†Technical Officer_PD_HEW6
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTIQ; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time